Purpose of this Guidance
To establish and maintain consistent and equitable standards in the expenditure of funds for employee appreciation.
Financial Accounting Assertions
- Colleges/VP units can spend up to $75 per employee per calendar year on employee appreciation and holiday events.
- Leaders have discretion regarding how money is distributed throughout their area. Attention should be paid to the same employees attending multiple appreciation or holiday events and/or any real or perceived inequity amongst employees (e.g., staff or faculty are recognized with an on-campus reception while leaders have dinner at an off-site restaurant).
- Partners, spouses, guests, etc. of employees can be included in events (e.g., holiday dinner for couples, picnic for families) but the overall budget does not change. See the Expenditures policy.
- Units can count only university employees in the annual allowable budget for these events.
- Guest expenses must be drawn from this budget as well.
- Included in the $75 per employee annual limit are:
- Games (rentals, pop-ups, etc.)
- Gifts of any kind (including gift cards)
- Not included in the $75 annual limit are:
- Chair rental
- Space rental
- Table and linen rental
- Other items needed for the setup of an event
- All applicable tax rules must be followed if giving gifts to employees. See the Expenditures and University-provided Clothing and Uniforms policies.
- University requirements regarding the use of alcohol at events for faculty and staff must be followed. See the Expenditures policy.
- See the Reward and Recognition policy.
For guidance questions, contact the Office of the President at (614) 292-2424.
For questions regarding the use of alcohol at events, contact the Office of Business and Finance at (614) 292-7970.
For questions about the Expenditures policy, contact the Office of the Controller at (614) 292-6220.
For questions pertaining to tax rules, contact the Department of Tax Compliance at (614) 292-0355.
Issued: October 24, 2019