In this season of light and hope, we take time to reflect on auld lang syne. Certainly, the past year has been an extraordinary one in the life of The Ohio State University. This institution is thriving. Our world-class faculty are making unprecedented strides in research, with their discoveries reaching every corner of the globe. Our talented students are uniquely driven to do good in the community and beyond. And our staff, alumni, and friends’ caring and commitment ensure that our important work continues. Quite simply, this University transforms lives. And I am deeply thankful for the support and engagement of our Ohio State family.
This past year held myriad successes for the University, of which I will share but a few:
- The brightest incoming class in school history, and $444 million awarded in scholarships, grants, and student employment
- Annie Leibowitz exhibition breaking all attendance records in Wexner Center’s 23-year history
- Eighteen faculty elected as Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- A spectacular 12-0 football season, in addition to 312 Ohio State student-athletes being named Academic All-Big Ten
- New wind energy partnership with Iberdrola, providing 20 percent of the power delivery on our Columbus campus
- The launch of But for Ohio State, the largest fundraising campaign in Ohio State’s history
In the words of T.S. Eliot: “For last year’s words belong to last year’s language, and next year’s words await another voice.” Indeed, I believe that Ohio State’s voice has never been stronger and will continue to soar. And, I look forward to sharing a collective chorus of good cheer in the coming year. My very best wishes for a joyful 2013.
E. Gordon Gee
President, The Ohio State University