Office of the President
Six Strategic Goals for Making the Coming Years Ohio State's Time
October 4, 2007
- Forge One Ohio State University. We are the most massive intellectual platform in America gathered on one campus. We unite a stellar liberal arts tradition with professional schools second to none and health sciences on the frontiers of medical discovery. We must capitalize on that platform by defining ourselves comprehensively.
- Put Students First. Being student-centered is a fundamental priority for Ohio State. We must provide our students—undergraduate, graduate, and professional students alike—with unique and compelling educational experiences.
- Focus on Faculty Success. We must do everything we can to retain, attract, and reward world-class teachers and researchers in all academic areas of the University. Likewise, we have great expectations that our faculty will contribute in remarkable ways to the success of our students, community, state, and beyond.
- Recast Our Research Agenda. Our mission to create new knowledge is considered by many to be a sacred social compact. Ohio State must not fail to keep that compact. Accordingly, we must stimulate new discoveries on the frontier of research and innovation in all its forms and all across the institution.
- Commit to Our Communities. We must revitalize our covenants with our communities, and, understanding our responsibilities to Ohio's taxpayers who want their assets to be used wisely, we must make a difference in the state and in the world.
- Simplify University Systems and Structures. It is only through an uncompromising focus on performance, through transparency and accountability, that Ohio State will earn the public trust and allow our faculty, staff, and students to thrive. We will, therefore, examine and modify our administrative practices, review our budget system, share resources, and streamline services